Home > Frank Farmer, Movies, Rachel Marron, The Bodyguard, Whitney Houston > Not Every Woman: Whitney Remembered

Not Every Woman: Whitney Remembered

“I know that when you look at me, there’s so much that you just don’t see…”  — lyrics from “Run to You”

The most disturbing aspect about Whitney Houston’s death last week has been the baseless speculations touted by gossipmongers masquerading as newscasters.  I found myself wondering whatever happened to at least the appearance of fact-based, objective journalism.  Disgusted, I avoided all media coverage and remembered Houston in my own way, focusing on her phenomenal talent and enjoying her music.  It was comforting to watch Houston’s homegoing service today as those who knew and loved her shared their remembrances, tributes and farewells – from Stevie Wonder’s “secret crush” to Kevin Costner’s insistence that Houston co-star with him in The Bodyguard to BeBe Winans’ loving recollection of “crazy” Whitney.  Even with those new insights, as a fan who never met Houston, a scene from The Bodyguard remains foremost on my mind when I think of her.

In The Bodyguard Houston’s character, Rachel Marron, reluctantly hires a bodyguard, Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner), to protect her from a stalker.  From an upstairs window, Rachel catches Frank transfixed by her image in the “Run to You” music video.  She realizes at that moment that the brusque bodyguard is attracted to her.  As I recognized how similar Houston’s life was to Rachel’s, I was struck by the irony and sadness.  How often did Houston wonder if adoring fans preferred the carefully created image over her “real” self?  Did the line between fantasy and reality blur from time to time?  Was it difficult to distinguish genuine affection from the obsequiousness of hangers-on?  Did Houston ever feel safe enough to be herself and with whom?  I can only imagine how lonely that could have been for her.

As I revisited that scene in The Bodyguard over the past week, the sadness was replaced by feelings of happiness and inspiration.  Instead of Rachel looking down from the window, I now see Houston, serene and beautiful, gazing down from an enlightened perspective where she is loved and finally able to fully appreciate the joy her music continues to bring to people worldwide.  Houston is at peace.  She is safe.  She is free.

Excerpt from The Bodyguard:

About these ads
  1. February 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Beautiful, K**** …thanks for this : )

• February 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks, Alyce. Glad you enjoyed it.

2. LAVerne
    February 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Beautifully stated, Soror. I agree and I am glad she is safe and free. God looks out for his angels.

• February 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks. It’s nice to think of her in a better place.

3. Michael Carson
    February 19, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I fortunately have been very busy at work and home and missed the media’s opportunistic coverage of Whitney and most of her funeral. I have been touched by yours and others’ tributes of her life and musical impact, and am happy that her life was celebrated by those who spoke and sang at her homecoming service. Whitney’s death has made me think of Phyllis Hyman, an artist whose music I loved. We do not know the pain that many artists are suffering, despite their fame and fortune.

• February 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have also thought about Phyllis Hyman a lot lately. The similarities are disturbing. I had the opportunity to see her perform in Merrillville two months before she passed. She closed her performance with a reinterpretation of “Old Friend.” The old friend that she referred to was Jesus Christ. It was a powerful and touching performance. Everyone was on their feet before she finished. That’s how I remember Phyllis. Though she was troubled during her time here, like Whitney, I believe that she is now at peace with her “old friend.”

1. No trackbacks yet.